Saturday, September 13, 2014

Willcox & Gibbs

We went to the weekly auction last night.  I was drawn in by the photo of an electric Willcox & Gibbs machine that appeared to be in good condition.  I keep saying I have too many straight stitchers and I am trying to downsize but, here I go, chasing one more sewing machine.  When we got there, the machine was in as good condition as the auction website indicated.


Decals were almost 100% and the lot included the foot control, manual, and box of accessories.  I had a maximum bid in mind but that lowered when I looked into the vent holes in the end of the motor.  There was lots of carbon or dirt and I could see some bare widings that should have been covered with electrical tape.  I was afraid the motor was toast and there was no way to plug it in to test it.  My mental bid limit didn't factor into the decision because bidding ended at $100 and that was way over my maximum.

There were two more sewing machines, a Singer Spartan (not the 3/4 size black one - the newer green one). It sold for $5 with no accessories or manual or any other go-withs, just the machine.  This is not a photo of the actual machine, just a file photo to remind you what it looked like.


Then there was a Singer 66 in a treadle cabinet. The cabinet was worn and the sewing head had rust and decades of dirt on it but it still brought $55.  Maybe the buyer wants to use the treadle base to make an end table.  I wish I had taken a picture of that one because the decals were some I had never seen before and I can't find any like it on the internet. They weren't Redeye or Lotus, the two I am familiar with.  I thought maybe they were 127 decals that had been applied at a rebuild but that's not what they were, either.  The auction website has changed so I can't download photos of items up for bid and now that machine is gone so I can't research further.

5 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I didn't know that there was a green Spartan. Now I'll have to look for one.

JustGail said...

Maybe the auction house has the name of who bought the unknown-decals Singer? They may not give you the buyers name directly, but perhaps would forward a message to them.

Jonathan said...

The green Spartan is neat! I wonder if they have the same internal mechanics as the SInger 328k. It's a shame the 328ks can skip stitches when sewing lighter weight fabrics. I think they're pretty nice.

Jonathan said...

Do you have a favorite straight stitch machine? I think mine would be my Singer 185k. It's heavy but I really like it.

Carolyn said...

You may have already looked here, but if not,ISMACS has a page on decals:
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/decals/domestic-decals.html