Thursday, September 04, 2014

High Shank Snap-On Feet Test

I got a chance to test drive the high shank snap-on feet this afternoon.  I was pleasantly surprised, Everything fit and worked well.  I used a Necchi Lelia 513 as my test bed because it was the easiest high shank machine to reach.  The installation was simple, I just removed the current foot and screwed on the High Shank Adapter.


Then I attached the general purpose zig zag foot.  The slot in the foot matched the slot in the Necchi needle plate


and the fork on the foot matched the teeth of the feed dog.  So far, so good.



Next, I attached the straight stitch foot.  Same result - the hole in the foot matched the hole in the needle plate and the foot covered the feed dog perfectly.  But, does the needle come down in the center of the hole in the foot?  Yes, it does - perfect.


Then, I attached the zipper foot.  I prefer the old, adjustable zipper feet because I can adjust the position of the foot in relation to the needle but this is the style of zipper foot that comes with new machines, now, so I guess I'll have to adapt.


The item I sewed with the zipper foot was welt to go on a small chair I am recovering.  The shape of the zipper foot did not allow me to sew close enough to the cord to make a smooth welt but moving the needle to the left position did.


Hopefully, it would perform better on a zipper.

I didn't try the remaining feet because I figure I would never use them, anyway but I expect they would perform just a well as the feet I did try.


I will place a few of these sets on my next parts order to see if other folks like them as much as I do.  It sure makes changing presser feet much more pleasurable.

Ed

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Any idea what the first and last feet are for?

Jonathan said...

The set posted on your Esty page has a really nice wide zipper foot. Looks like a great set!

Unknown said...

The foot on the right is an overcast foot. It has a finger running in the direction of the stitch and the machine zig zags over the finger. This allows a non-serger to finish an edge without rolling it.

The one on the left I THINK is an adjustable bias tape binder. -Ed